Sunday, August 13, 2006

SCHOOL VOUCHERS AGAIN?



Here in Michigan, the prospect of electing a very conservative Republican governor this November has resurrected the SCHOOL VOUCHER question. A school voucher proposal on the 2000 ballot was soundly defeated in Michigan but it appears the religious zealots will try to cram it down our throats again.

If you are surprised that I say “religious zealots” are behind this, don’t be; we are after all talking about RELIGIOUS SCHOOLS and not PRIVATE SCHOOLS.

In 2000, the Catholic Archdiocese of Detroit spent millions in trying to get the Voucher initiative passed. They saw it as a savior for their failing parochial school system. I saw it as another way to introduce religion into our educational system.

I will admit that our schools in Michigan and probably around the country need some fixing. In Detroit, the schools are pitiful and parents deserve better for their children. But it is those same parents that keep electing incompetent school boards and administrators – yes it is a race thing also. My suggestion for Detroit schools is for the state to take over their administration and let some professionals finally whip the schools into shape.

As for competition making schools try harder to attract students – I am all for it but within the public school system. Actually, this type of competition exists already. The problem is transportation which limits options for some parents.

So for me VOUCHERS mean RELIGION and therefore UNACEPTABLE.

I am a product of Catholic education so I know what I am talking about.

Janusz

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...