Sunday, June 26, 2005

THE "FLAG" QUESTION YET AGAIN?



I am as patriotic as any American. I spent four (4) years in the military during the Vietnam War and many more years in the ready reserves after that BUT this question CHANGING OUR CONSTITUTION to make burning our flag a crime, has me baffled.

First, I do not see how with all the shit going on in this country and the world, that Congress has to take the time to focus on a NON ISSUE. That's right - a non issue. I defy you to explain to me why this is a burning (no pun intended) issue. The total drivel that is emanating from Congress about why this is an important issue is plain insulting to any one with half a brain cell.

Let me tell you why.

Our flag is a symbol. It is one of our greatest symbols. It speaks volumes about who we are, where we have been and where we are going. It has been tarnished somewhat by Bush and his antics, but as a symbol, it is HUGE.

The flag is also a piece of cloth and has been burned and mutilated by many opposed to the United States and what it stands for. It has also been (rarely) used by Americans to protest our government's actions.

Notice that I mentioned the word "rarely" when it comes to Americans burning our flag in protest. It is not something that happens often - we need to remember that when we argue that this is such a hot issue needing to be addressed immediately.

Anyway, we as Americans are guaranteed our freedom of expression by the First Amendment and that includes using our flag as a protest vehicle. That is why men and women have died under this same flag; to guarantee our freedoms for ourselves and for our children. Why then would we pass a law taking away that freedom. It makes no sense to me on a logical level but I can see how people would get carried away with emotion on this issue.

BUT to change OUR CONSTITUTION for an emotional reason is just plain stupid and makes us look like a bunch on uneducated, emotional twits.

Janusz

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...