Sunday, November 15, 2009

HEALTHCARE: The abortion issue!











I have been sort of following the healthcare reform debate in Congress and in general, feel that the Democrats are really making a mess of the whole healthcare reform issue.

BUT my blood pressure really hit the roof when I heard Bart Stupak (Michigan) and a number of other like minded Democrats, added an anti-choice amendment to the healthcare bill prohibiting abortion coverage for people receiving federal subsidies or using government health insurance coverage.

Now, I will make myself clear right of the bat; I am not for or against abortion itself, I am PRO-CHOICE.

Pro-choice means that I am not going to dictate to anyone what they should or should not do when faced with a decision as to abortion. IT IS A LEGAL PROCEDURE in this country and as long as it is legal it is illegal to block access to the procedure so the Bart Stupak amendment is ILLEGAL and should be immediately removed.

The Stupak amendment makes no sense on a number of levels besides being illegal. As far as FISCAL logic, poor people that are on federal (tax payer) support are the ones that need abortion coverage the most. They are the ones most susceptible to suffer from self attempted abortions or from botched back alley abortions when they try to end unwanted pregnancies. Those that actually take their unwanted pregnancies to term deposit their unwanted babies at tax payer’s feet to support them for life.

From the so-called religious conscience opposition to legal abortion position which Stupak claims, all I have to say is that we are a secular society and our government is constitutionally obligated to be non-religious so why are people’s religious views getting into our laws?

The American Catholic Church, in all its mighty arrogance, is playing a major role in demanding an anti-choice position in the healthcare legislation. This is unacceptable and pro-choice Catholics need to start making their views known. I realize that the Catholic Church is not a democracy but a religious dictatorship BUT they can be influenced when the money trail stops; make your voice heard through the collection plate.

In my opinion, no one should be allowed to tell me and my wife what to do with OUR creation. Yes, our sperm and egg and if you want to somehow throw God into this let me remind you that your beliefs and superstitions are just that; they are YOUR beliefs based on YOUR faith and not on any evident fact or truth that I accept so please do not suppose that you have some holy right to tell me and my wife what we can or cannot do with our own bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...