Sunday, May 23, 2010

CATHOLICISM: U.S. Nuns Investigated?











HEADLINE: Progressive Adrian nuns are under Vatican’s microscope.

When my wife saw this headline in today’s Detroit Free Press she was incredulous; what the hell is the Vatican doing investigating U.S. nuns when they should be concentrating on digging themselves out from the priestly sex scandal.

I have been taught by nuns through grade school and high school. These were the old fashioned nuns with only the face and hands showing. As I remember, some nuns were smart, some just plain mean and some that were actually progressive. They all lived in the convent close by and never appeared without their habit on.

Later, when I was in college, there were nuns in civilian clothes studying right along with me. I never really learned about all the reforms that U.S. nuns went through since my days in high school but obviously things have changed and I think the Vatican is concerned about those changes and ole’ Benedict would prefer to reel in those changes and maybe actually take a few steps backwards to the good ole’ days.

I read about nuns actively and openly backing Obama’s health plan even when U.S. bishops were strongly against it due to abortion issues. I wondered how that could be possible since they all took orders from the same source.

I have also read how nuns were protesting the way the priestly sex abuse scandal was handled or mishandled. They maintained that they were silenced when they tried to report their suspicions about certain priests (I think they made a movie about that).

The Vatican is concerned with U.S. nuns because they are outspoken and educated and not mere house maids to priests and bishops.

The article mentioned that the Vatican is concerned about views some nuns are advocating that runs counter to that of the Vatican among which are allowing female priests, recognizing homosexuality as a normal condition and not a sin, allowing contraception and even abortions in some cases; the nuns are “progressive”.

I can understand the Vatican’s concern about progressive nuns and the danger they pose to the old boys club of geriatric twits in the Vatican but if the time has come, and I feel it has, to clean house and let a new, fresh breeze of modernity and rationality blow through dusty old Catholicism, than progressive U.S. nuns maybe just the group to lead that charge…go for it ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...