Sunday, July 07, 2013

WHAT MAKES A SAINT?





An article in the July 6th DETROIT NEWS was titled: INFLUENTIAL POPES CLEARED FOR SAINTHOOD BY FRANCIS by Nicole Winfield of the Associated Press. The subtitle read: Tradition relaxed for John Paul II, John XXIII.

The whole issue about “relaxing tradition” has to do with Pope Francis going ahead with the sainthood of John XXIII even without the traditional (and I thought mandatory) second confirmed “miracle” attributed to the pope being canonized.

I have trouble with the term “sainthood” and how it is being used and defined. To me a saint is someone like Mother Theresa who dedicated her life to the poor and sick of India; some one that gives one’s own life to others.

But do you become a saint because you changed history? I think if you change history for the common good you become a great man of history but a saint?

John XXIII has always been my favorite pope mainly because he called up VATICAN II; an ecumenical council that in my mind put the Catholic Church on a road to modernity and humanism something Benedict XVI tried so hard to undo.

John Paul II defeated Communism and liberated the country of his birth (Poland) from the 50 years of depredation under Communist dictatorship.

John Paul II did not stop priestly sexual attacks on children about which he most certainly must have known and maybe even tried to hide or cover up.

I am glad Francis did not go ahead and grant sainthood to Pope Pius XXII (the pope during WWII) because there are some real concerns about that pope being a little bit too friendly with the Nazis; Jews are challenging his nomination for sainthood.

I guess the Catholic Church can make saints out of whom they want but I feel it somehow dilutes the power of the title of saint when it is applied to popes or people who influenced history for the benefit of man but did not, in my mind, reach that level of “holiness” that to me defines a saint.

Mother Theresa, even though she turned away from her faith in the end, believing nobody listens to people’s prayers, her life’s dedication to the poor and sick, makes her a saint to me.

 

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...