Monday, July 28, 2014

RELIGIOUS FANATICS DESTROYING HISTORY AND CULTURE...WHY?



As a history nut or shall I say a lifelong student of history, I treasure what history has left us to see, to touch, to read and to ponder.

I consider historic relics as sacred no matter from what age or location they came from; a piece of physical history is priceless.

I know wars and revolution endanger pieces of history such as recently in Egypt and more recently in Iraq where the invading Muslim insurgents are hell bent on destroying everything that they feel is not part of their religion or their belief system. Remember the age-old Buddhist statues blown up in Afghanistan by the Taliban or al-Qaeda…why?

Now I am reading that the insurgents in Iraq blew up The Nabi Younes Mosque which housed Jonah’s tomb; yes the Jonah that spent some time in the belly of a whale.

I don’t care if you believe the Biblical story or not but the fact that Jonah is mentioned in the Bible as well as the Quran and people “believe” he is buried there and revere the place is enough to respect its place and function in history.

Hell anything that is part of the archaeology of our planet should be sacrosanct and treated with the utmost care because history is, I feel, so important to our human existence and experience.

The religious fanaticism that prompts these fanatics to destroy the relics of our history to me is just plain barbarism and the height of absurdist ignorance. I don’t care how you interpret the pronouncements of your religion; if your beliefs in any way hurt or damage people, places or things, you are then dubbed a common criminal and should be punished as such.

I think that Muslims around the world and especially in the United States need to stand up and voice opposition to what these fanatics are doing or risk the condemnation of their entire faith which I am afraid is happening anyway and mainly because good Muslims are silent and that silence appears as if they condone the fanatic’s behavior.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...