Saturday, July 07, 2007

Islamic Dress Close to Home!



I would like to add to my comments on the extreme dress of some Muslim women in this country and in fact, in my neighborhood.

In my last blog on this subject, I dispelled any ideas that the religion of Islam demands such extreme clothing and that it is and was usually a cultural and/or a specific ethnic custom practiced in the Middle East. I have problems with the practice being continued here in this country but I am conflicted as to my justification for such feelings.

Anyway, I was taking my grandson to the park the other day, specifically where the children enjoy a “splash” area since it is very hot at this time.

Please look at the pictures I took of the children and parents enjoying the cooling water. You will notice a few girls in full Islamic dress. You will also see a blond girl without a top on; now is that a perfect juxtaposition or what.

First, I think all girls should wear appropriate swim wear even when they are very young and therefore the mother of the topless girl was wrong in allowing her to run around that way.

But let us talk about the little girls forced to wear extreme Muslim wear on a hot and humid day; both me and my wife felt sorry for them. We discussed our feelings later on.

I look at the issue emotionally because I equate the Islamic dress as male oppression of women. They perform female circumcision to prevent women from liking sex too much. They feel God created women to give pleasure to men and not to themselves so you can see why I want the practice banned.

But my wife correctly points out that in this country we allow people to dress the way they want to; it is after all a free country.

Yes, we are a nation of immigrants and although we keep some ethnic customs we have basically all assimilated into the melting pot that is America. She feels that eventually they will too and I should just be patient and let natural social forces have their way.

She probably is correct on all points but I still am conflicted. More to come…




1 comment:

  1. You have a twisted view of Islam. Where did you read all that? Or did you read anything at all before coming up with your conclusion about what Islam says about women?

    I suggest you do some reading before you form an opinion.

    ReplyDelete

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...