Sunday, September 30, 2007

ATHEISTS ARE TOO RUDE?

This was a response to a column in the Home Life magazine in the Detroit News. Marney Rich Keenan talks about how the atheist Christopher Hitchens really lets religious people have it between the eyes without any regards how the world regards these people; he does not play nice-nice. His now famous quote: "The absence of evidence is the evidence of absence" - wow!



Sunday, September 30, 2007

Re: “Mother Teresa’s letters shake up faithful, but atheist goes to far”, Sept. 29.


My wife pointed out your column to me since she knows I like religious issues. I agree that Christopher Hitchens is a little over the top but after centuries of having to acquiesce to everything religious, the atheists and agnostics feel the need to let off a little steam and not play nice-nice like they have in the past.

I have even read articles in the Wall Street Journal where people decry the new rudeness of secularists but if you really feel deeply about the insult to your intelligence that religion represents than you can kind of empathize a little.

Anyway my point in writing you is actually the statement that struck my wife which is at the end of your piece and talks about the “selfless concept of faith” and the inspiration for Mother Teresa’s “works of love”.

To me, religious orders that dedicate their lives to helping the dregs of humanity are not selfless. These people want and pursue God’s blessing and hopefully a better place in heaven.

The truly selfless person dedicates his or her life to helping fellow humans in need because it is the “human” thing to do. Secular Humanists recognize the innate “humanness” inside of all humans and practice it. They do not seek rewards or praise especially from a supernatural being which they do not believe in.

I do agree that “faith” does inspire people to do good works; I just don’t call it selfless.

Good, though-provoking column.

Regards,

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...