Sunday, April 11, 2010

POLITICS: A Civil Republican / Dying Breed?




Another thing I noticed on CNN that went against some of my generalizations about Republicans and Right Wingers.

Senator Tom Coburn (R-Oklahoma) was at one of those town hall meetings filled with Tea Party types or the lunatic fringe (should not equate all Tea Party members with lunatics since I agree with some of their positions) but I digress…

Anyway, a lady asks a really stupid question about Obama’s Health Care Bill something like am I going to jail if I don’t buy health insurance? Coburn tells her that she has been listening to FOX NEWS too much and that their news reports are made up to incite! Can you believe this guy?

Coburn, who was a strong critic of the Obama Health Care Bill, defended Speaker Pelosi as a nice lady. Amid boos and hisses, he said that you can disagree with someone but that does not mean you have to hate them for disagreeing with you.

He then proceeded to lecture the crowd about CIVILITY.

Now this is what I am talking about as far as political discourse is concerned but is it too late? Are gentlemen politicians like Coburn a dead or dying breed? Is the new political force in this country the FOX NEWS bred lunatic fringe and all new politicians will try to court these lunatics by saying what they want to hear like FOX NEWS does?

I salute Senator Tom Coburn of Oklahoma and hope there are other Republicans like him but I am afraid the reality is that his breed is dying because being a gentleman and intelligent are actually negatives to the lunatic fringe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...