Sunday, March 10, 2013

VENEZUELA: I have a business stake there...






I have been following the situation in VENEZUELA for many years now.

I have been doing business with a gentleman there for many years and he has done very well selling my products there and has built up a good reputation for his company and our products.

I have visited Venezuela once and that was mainly in the Caracas area and found it to be pretty modern but with a huge disparity between the rich and the poor with the poor living in cardboard boxes adjacent to a mountain range.

My business there was complicated by the antics of their crazy-ass president Hugo Chavez. He would make currency exchange (Bolivars into US dollars) illegal and my dealer there was forced to purchase US dollars on the black market.

When we heard Chavez was sick, we rejoiced and when he finally died, we cheered…very bad human behavior on our part, I know but he was no good for the country or my business.

There will be a new election held on April 12th but I am worried because the country’s constitution has already been violated with the appointment of Chavez’s vice president Nicolas Maduro as the interim president; constitutionally the speaker of the house should have been appointed interim president.

Also the elections should be held 30 days after the death of the president and obviously that is not being followed which leads me to believe that Chavez’s political party will not honor the constitution and will basically act as they please. Maduro has already started blaming the U.S. for the death of Chavez who died of cancer which indicates that he may declare a national emergency and assume dictatorial powers.

The man facing Maduro in the April elections is one HENRIQUE CAPRILES RADONSKI.

You may be surprised by the Polish surname but I have found that many Poles emigrated to South America after WWII and so you will encounter quite a few Polish surnames there. I also found that many Nazi officials emigrated or escaped to South America.

It seems that Radonski’s maternal grandfather came to Venezuela from Poland in 1947 and was involved in cinema. His maternal grandmother was in the Warsaw Ghetto during the war but managed to escape.

On his paternal side the ancestry is Polish Jewish; Radonski is a Catholic and was raised a Catholic.

It is a small world after all and I really hope that Venezuelans will vote to finally get the country on the right track but that will be hard to do as Chavez and now Maduro have great support from the poor who really do not benefit from having Chavez or now Maduro as presidents who have painted the opposition party as rich, white aristocrats who don’t care about the poor.

This should be interesting…


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...