Sunday, August 14, 2005

MY FIRST WEDDING


I have been to many wedding in my time but this is the first one involving one of my children.

My daughter married a gentleman from Scotland this Friday in a beautiful ceremony and reception at the Belle Isle Yacht Club.

It was a colorful wedding with the groom and his men all attired in traditional Scottish kilts. My son and I were the only ones in tuxedos.

The ceremony was conducted by an official of the humanist group. As the name of the group suggests, members believe in the best of our human nature and what that nature can achieve. Their philosophy relies on facts or knowledge that can be substantiated. In other words they are not religious and do not invoke supernatural beings.

I thought the ceremony was quite touching with all the right words and sentiments expressed.

Marriages bring together families and in this case one family with basically Polish / Ukrainian roots and the other Scottish. We will celebrate the union once again in October but this time in Scotland - which I am really looking forward to.

The wedding was not a traditional Polish wedding but then again the couple was not exactly young. Both in their early 30s, the couple planned their own wedding according to their own wishes and it was quite impressive.

They are off to Hawaii for the honeymoon. When they get back - married life begins in earnest.

Janusz

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...