Sunday, May 06, 2007

FIRST COMMUNIONS!



Recently, I attended a number of “First Communion” ceremonies and receptions. I was raised a Catholic and also went through all the catholic rituals including first communion.

The rituals have not changed much nor have the required dark suits for little boys and elaborate wedding gown type dresses for the little girls.

As I sat, stood, shook hands (I don’t kneel) through the Mass I was amazed at the number of children going through this religious ceremony; it was quite disheartening.

The children stared at the priest who talked about their acceptance of Jesus, the son of God, into their bodies. I wondered what was going through their young minds. I know my grandnephew was getting sick and about to throw up.

God has a son? But I thought there was only ONE God. Who is this Holy Spirit that is yet another God? How can a kid grasp such utter nonsense? How can an adult priest spout such unbelievable hocus-pocus? And yet they do and have been doing for a very long time and they never question anything; it’s automatic.

I usually never say anything during these family gatherings but if I have a few drinks, I sometimes, before leaving, mutter something like “how can you guys believe in this absurd, superstitious nonsense”. I get looks that say “how can you NOT believe in this sacred stuff; you must be insane”.

I then realize that I cannot discuss the subject of religion with these people; my family. My brother at least understands where I am coming from and jokes that lightening will hit the church when I enter.

One family member said that if we don’t do this (Church & Communion) the kids will turn to drugs and sex and all sorts of BAD things. OK, at least here is a point to discuss but I though otherwise; there is no point(s) to discuss because these people are brainwashed and have been since birth.

They do religious things out of habit. They don’t really give it any thought because the Catholic Church has done its job very well; don’t read the Bible and believe only what you are told by the priest or in my case, the teaching nuns.

So why am I different? I went through the same rigid indoctrination and had / have a mother that is a super catholic BUT with a streak of religious independence that I must have detected in her at an early age; she is pro-choice and thinks popes and priest are just MEN who sometimes don’t know what they are talking about.

She encouraged me to find out answers to questions she could not answer and I did; it has been a lifelong journey of learning for me and it continues to this very day.

I embrace the new “aggressive secularism” movement and think people like me should not just sit politely and accept the absurdity that is religion. We need to challenge, point out the delusion and yet?

I have to think about how we can practice aggressive secularism in a way that actually makes a difference.





No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...