Thursday, May 10, 2007

More thoughts on the "FIRST COMMUNION"...


I have been thinking more about the First Communion blog and my ambivalent feelings about the subject.

My family follows their Catholic heritage because they want to. They feel it is the right thing to do and yes, because of habit and rearing.

Trying to influence them to see the “light” would go absolutely nowhere. The only thing I can depend on is my own small contribution to enlightenment; my own two children. I think what shocked me attending my family First Communion programs and seeing the large number of participants is that my contribution and the contribution of people like me, is so miniscule when compared to the other side. I hope I am wrong and that my experience is not the norm in this country but I feel like it is.

Aggressive secularism should not direct their aggression against the common folk and I will explain momentarily, but when the Republican candidates for president were asked who does not believe in evolution and most of them raised their hands, the target becomes clearer.

I have to add that the serious contenders like McCain said that they believe in evolution but see the hand of God there – smart politicians.

As a history nut, I look backward to see why humans needed and still need religion. But as I say this I also must note that in Western Europe, religion is basically a non issue – why? And why are Americans so bloody religious?

Some form of religion has been with us from the very beginning. Unexplainable phenomenon always made more sense when a god was named as the instigator.

In my current studies of Buddhism (~500 B.C.E.) and Confucianism (~500 B.C.E.), both very, very old “religious” movements (way before Jesus was even born), I detect some reasons for human religiosity.


The interesting thing about both movements is that they were not about god or gods or heaven; they were about humans and their life on earth. Basically about correct behavior but I AM simplifying.

Anyway, the thing that struck me about both movement creators is that they encouraged ritual to the gods of heaven even though their preaching had nothing to do with god or heaven.

I think they both realized that humans needed to worship something that they thought had influence over their daily lives and their afterlife. Buddha and Confucius way back when, realized a basic human need and addressed it.

Who am I to question that wisdom? Telling humans that religion(s) are human creations used to manipulate and have nothing to do with god(s) or the supernatural without giving them a substitute belief system will just not work; humans need something no matter how preposterous.

I may make fun of the trinity theology, virgin birth and resurrection but hey, what do I have to replace that with; a big black hole?

The aggressive secularists need to concentrate their power on the people that take religion and use it to control others. I have no problem with personal religious beliefs but I do mind when those religious beliefs are used to control the rest of us.

But you may argue that those controlling people derive their power from the “believers” and so we do need to reach those people also.

Well enough confusion for the time being; more confusion to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...