Sunday, March 22, 2009

MUSIC: Eagles brought some memories back!











I went to see THE EAGLES last night at the Palace in Auburn Hills, Michigan. The last time I saw the Eagles was at Olympia Stadium in Detroit in the early 1970s.

The place was packed with baby Boomers, some like me fresh out of the military and newly married. It seemed that everyone there was smokin’ dope so even if you weren’t, you were stoned just like the rest of them.

We were all in our 20s with our lives ahead of us. Eagle’s music was all the rage and with us, has remained that till this day.

Last night, many of us are now in our 60s. Younger people said their parents played the eagles so much when they were growing up, they feel the Eagles belong to their generation also.

The people haven’t changed much. They still smoked dope but more drank like fish. The place was packed so the depression could not stop people from celebrating with their music, their band.

The eagles sounded as good as they ever did but I never considered Joe Walsh really a part of the band even though he is a great guitar player; they played way too many of his so called “songs”.

To me, Hotel California brings the time back. The ending guitar duo makes me get goose bumps. They ended with my all time favorite, Desperado, which for whatever reason makes me shed a tear.

They had some newer music, some music critical of our war on Iraq. Some booed, my wife cheered as loud as she could. My generation is not united. Too bad especially after all we have been through and are going through.

My closest, life friends are gathering this year at my house for a reunion. We will have a lot of eagles music playing along with the Beatles, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...