Thursday, March 26, 2009

RELIGION: Notre Dame Invites Obama?











OK, here is my next Catholic issue.

Notre Dame, the great Catholic University with a so-so football team but a great history, has invited President Barack Obama to deliver the commencement speech at this year’s graduation. By the uproar the invitation caused, you would have though they invited Adolf Hitler.

Notre Dame has always been known to have an independent side as far as Catholicism is concerned so I was not surprised by the invitation BUT I guess the right wing Catholics are all up in arms cause Obama allows stem cell research and is pro-choice – the devil himself.

I don’t think Notre Dame ever invited George Bush to their campus. He blocked stem cell research and was definitely anti-choice and even wanted to repeal Roe v. Wade, so why was he not invited?; could have been because he was a war monger and an insult to the basest intelligence of the country.

One Catholic I spoke to, defended the choice of Obama, saying Obama’s concern for the poor and downtrodden of the world makes him more Jesus like than let’s say, Bush was. I find that to be a very intelligent and insightful answer.

Pope Benedict, as I have reported, is taking the Church backwards and is asking for the support of his mindless followers. The American Catholic Church can take a stand for enlightenment (Vatican II) and support Notre Dame in their choice of a graduation speaker that represents enlightenment and progress and does not advocate a return to the Dark Ages.

I will be following this issue as it develops. I just hope Notre Dame does not chicken out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...