Sunday, October 03, 2010

RELIGION: How ignorant are we?

Jesus is considered by scholars such as Weber ...Image via Wikipedia
There was quite an interesting survey taken by the PEW FORUM about religious knowledge in America. The results were interesting but not surprising (to me at least). They showed a very religious nation but a nation quite ignorant about religion(s) in general and Christianity in particular.

Out of all the adults surveyed, the average score on the religion test was F.

Out of all the adults surveyed, the groups that scored the highest (A) on this religion test were atheists, agnostics, Jews and Mormons. I think these groups know more about religion because they actually take the time to study religion(s) so as to form an educated opinion(s) about religion or at least know why they are religious and to know why they practice the specific religion that they do.

Thinking about my own religious education (Catholic), I remember in grade school, nuns basically hammering the catechism into my brain. I once remember asking a question and was doused with holy water because the devil was making me ask questions. I learned you did not ask, you listened and learned.

In high school (Holy Redeemer) I also asked questions in religion class and was taken aside by the civilian male teacher and told that he would be fired if he entertained my questions in class. He did direct me to the library at Wayne State University where I could find answers to my questions – and I did and I have been studying religion ever since.

I will admit that I am a puzzled why religious people know so little about their chosen faith. I remember growing up Catholic and being told what not to read (Bible) because I could develop or be led into “wrong” ideas about my faith; only those in the know (priests) could interpret writings “correctly” for me and keep me from straying into dangerous (evil thinking) territory. So the Catholic Church of my childhood (1960s) practiced a policy of “ignorance is bliss”. I am not sure about current policy but I doubt things have changed much.

I remember asking my mother (the ultimate Catholic) if she knew that Jesus had a number of brothers and sisters; she looked at me as if I was Satan himself.

I guess what I am questioning are the strong opinions of many religious people that are based on what? Do they just believe what they wish to believe or what they are told to believe? Do individuals have their own personal religion but belong to a larger religious group just to belong?

How can anyone have a religious opinion about social issues when they really don’t know why they hold those opinions? How about judging Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, etc. based on total ignorance of those religions?

We Americans are an interesting group to say the least…


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...