Sunday, December 18, 2011

BAN ALL TEXTING/CELL PHONE USE WHILE DRIVING?

Person using cell phone while driving.
Image via Wikipedia

Our government just suggested that all forms of electronic communicating (talking on cell phone, texting, etc.) be banned while a person is driving.

I have been hearing a flood of objections to this proposal which would (I hope) carry a substantial penalty for disobeying the law if enacted.

Yes, the proposal is quite intrusive and basically dictates how we are to behave?

The government department pushing the proposal says that this law would add to our safety while we are in our automobiles and I don’t think any one can argue with that.

Personally, I have had numerous close calls, some inches away from a collision, where the driver that nearly rammed me was on a cell phone. In my case, the drivers were mostly women and when I laid on the horn, they had the audacity to give me the finger…good thing most of us don’t carry guns in our cars…

Also, in my auto, I have the Ford Sync system where all calls coming to me are directed through my radio so I can speak without having to use my cell phone BUT even when I talk with both hands on the wheel, I feel like my brain is paying more attention to the conversation than to my driving.

There are tons of statistics that point to fatal wrecks on the road caused by the distraction of communication devices; the poster crash for this proposal is the truck driver that was texting as he slammed into the back of a school bus.

I guess I am slightly conflicted here because there probably are occasions where you might need to make a call or take a call while driving but would that be only in an emergency (which the law would allow) or just as a matter of convenience.

I guess more discussion is needed but right now, if I was to make a decision today, I would vote for the law.



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...