Friday, February 10, 2012

BABY BOOMERS: There is still time to make a difference...




My wife asks why I get so emotional about certain issues, shouldn’t I be calming down a little in my old age and reflecting on issues in a more calm and composed way, worthy of a grandfather in his 60s?

Well I have tried but I guess it just isn’t in me to just sit back and just watch world events just pass me by.

I guess I feel a responsibility to make some form of effort in reacting to certain issues in a loud as I can manner because I am after all, a BABYBOOMER.

We were and are the largest generation in our history. We were born after WWII from 1946 to 1964 but really 1946-1955 was enough time for those returning from the war to create the post-war generation.

I was always proud to be part of the baby-boomer generation. We represented the NEW and MODERN generation; we were the rock & roll generation, we were going to change the world.

It did not help that right after high school we faced the draft for the Vietnam War. We lost over 58,000 of our generation when we were only in our teens and early 20s. BUT we rebelled, ended the war, became hippies with long hair and threw out the window all of our parent’s silly ideas and rules but did we…

Did we change the world; did we make the world a better place?

Looking around me today, I don’t think we lived up to the hype and the promise. Yes, we did well and raised great kids and now are helping raise our grandkids but did we make a difference?

Can we still make a difference? Do we have time to make a difference? That is only if we care about our legacy; our generations legacy. Leaving good, smart kids behind is definitely an achievement but is that enough?

The reason I get so involved with certain issues so passionately is because I still feel we have not crawled out of the Dark Ages and remain in many ways, backward. This was not the promise of our generation to remain unchanged, we were taking society to a new level of enlightenment, peace and well being but I think we have failed…

And so I end with a poem by Dylan Thomas (1952) that encourages me…

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at the close of day,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

There is still time to make a difference…

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...