Tuesday, July 03, 2012

LACKLAND AFB: Sex Scandal?




I was disappointed but I suppose, not totally surprised that the Air Force has expanded its probe into sexual misconduct by drill instructors (DIs) or training Instructors (TIs) at Lackland Air Force Base, in San Antonio, Tx where I took my basic training in 1966.

I was one of many scared 18 year olds that came to the base for some much expedited basic training; expedited because there was not time to waste on training, get them into the ranks now!

Each group of trainees was assigned one or more instructors who were tough as nails because they had to be. They were basically gods that had to be obeyed completely; if he said jump, you jumped, no matter what.

I equate these instructors with other authority figures like priests and coaches who have also been accused of abusing their authority and sexually molesting scared young boys or in this case, scared young women.

I remember seeing females in training but they were usually assigned to female instructors. I guess many things have changed there since 1966 but the principle remains the same; train them but don’t abuse or molest them.

I am not naïve to think that no abuse took place when I was at Lackland but I guess now, women are not afraid to come forward and 31 lodged complaints of abuse from molestation to rape.

It is a sad commentary on our society where people in power tend to use that power for doing bad things and in many cases, they are allowed to abuse their power by institutions that they work for and that includes the Air Force, Penn State, Congress, Corporations and of course, the Vatican.

I guess this Air Force abuse bothers me a little more because I can relate to those scared 18 year olds that have never been far away from home or their parents and are thrust into a world of despicable wolves.




Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...