Monday, January 21, 2013

INAUGURATION SPEECHES...Observations.



Just finished watching the INAUGURATION CEREMONY and I must admit that I really liked what was said by various speakers.

 I think there will be a lot of debate about what was said and why but I came away with a theme of INCLUSION that was sounded with a lot of emphasis on the WE factor as WE THE PEOPLE, all equal and united in our goals of “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness”.

One thing stood out to me and that was that under the “equality” theme was the mention of gays which I don’t think has ever been mentioned in any inauguration speeches in our history.

I wrote before about the Christian minister that declined to give the benediction because it was discovered that he made an anti-gay speech in 1990; the Christian minister that actually gave the benediction mentioned gays in his prayer…now that was interesting. I later found out that the minister was an Episcopalian that supports gay marriage and gay bishops and is a Latino.

Also the poet Richard Blanco read a poem that was not like any poem I have ever heard (because it didn’t rhyme?) but still very beautiful and interesting, talking about how America and Americans are so diverse yet united as Americans all. I later found out that the poet was gay and Latino…is there a trend here?

It will be interesting to read about how others saw/interpreted the speeches…



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...