Monday, June 23, 2008

George Carlin is Dead - great loss.




George Carlin is dead.

To my generation, he was the man. He said things that needed to be said about our culture, our society. He was a comedian philosopher, someone I started listening to during the 1960s & 70s when certain performers like the Smothers Brothers incorporated biting social criticism in their routines; they entertained but they also kicked ass – I loved it.

I saw Carlin “live” on a number of occasions throughout the years and also on TV “specials”; he performed to the very end dieing at 71 of a heart attack.

What drew me to him originally was how he talked about the absurdity of religion in our daily lives and how religion made some of our societal laws and rules downright stupid. He challenged everything, he stepped over the line, he pushed the envelope a lot – he was a prophet!

To me, the man was a genius even though he never finished high school. He was born on May 12 – my birth day and he joined the Air Force as I did.

I hope his body of work will be publicized a little bit more after his death so younger generations can experience his genius for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...