Monday, June 16, 2008

Making Out in Public Places - NO to all.





I was recently caught in a quandary about my own views on homosexuality when I read an article about a woman at a ball park with her kids that asked a security guard to tell two ladies to stop kissing. The lady later said her reason was that she did not want to explain to her children why these two women were kissing. I would quickly add that this was probably not a quick kiss but a “make-out” session.

The ladies complained that a heterosexual couple a few rows down were “making-out” also but the security guard did not tell them to cease and desist.

I personally do have a problem with showing too much affection in public – period. Anything more than a greeting kiss and hug and I yell – get a room already! And this applies to any two people; straight or gay.

But even though I believe homosexuality is an inherited trait and not a choice and therefore should be accepted in our society, I found myself empathizing with the mother that did not want to explain homosexuality to her kids – right then and there!

Should ALL overtly sexual displays of passion be banned in public places – I think so.

BUT if I am willing to say that homosexuality should be acceptable in our society, why am I not willing to discuss the issue with my children?

I had trouble talking about regular sex with my children let alone homosexual sex.

Am I a person that accepts homosexuality in theory but is having problems with it in actuality as in seeing it in public? I think my generation of males was somehow programmed to react viscerally to any displays of male homosexuality. I believe my father’s generation was even worst where hugging by men, even friends was verboten so as not to give even a hint of lesser manliness.

Well, I guess we are evolving socially as time marches on or is it just me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...