Sunday, February 01, 2009

LOVED GRAN TORINO; A POLISH STORY












We do not go to the movies as often as we once did. Now that we are older, we don’t have the time - figure that one out!

We did make a point to see GRAN TORINO with CLINT EASTWOOD and we both gave it five (5) stars and called it one of the best movies we have seen.

We recognize that we may have been influenced by a number of factors that maybe unique to our personal history.

The movie was shot in Detroit. Clint Eastwood played a veteran of the Korean War that was Polish (Walt Kowalski) who lived in a Polish neighborhood. I grew up in a Polish neighborhood in Detroit. The neighborhood belonged to a local Church that served the polish area. My church was called St. Cunegunda (a Polish saint).

The neighborhoods were immaculate; some say you could eat off the sidewalks. The Poles took pride in their homes and property.

As time went on, the Poles moved to better suburban areas and the children did to. Walt Kowalski’s wife died, his kids moved to the suburbs but he remained; the lone Pole in a new, mixed race neighborhood. My mother (86) still lives in our original house, the lone Pole left in a very mixed race neighborhood. You can see why I identify with the movie so much.

The story (that Eastwood co-authored)is so compelling and so authentically told with Polish customs and mannerisms and that of the new ethnic group in the neighborhood, the Hmong (Asian).

I will not spoil the movie for you by giving away the plot but I saw a lot of my father in Eastwood’s character but my father was actually very kind as opposed to Eastwood’s gruff character but the basic Polish value system was there and it made my proud to see it so well portrayed in a movie.

I feel Eastwood and the film should have been nominated for some Oscars; they were not. I feel that is a big slight to him, the movie and maybe the Polish ethnic group as a whole. I hope the nominating committee is not prejudiced in this day and age but you just never know.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely agree! Gran Torino was amazing. Although I'm not Polish, I still loved the movie. Great ending.

    ReplyDelete

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...