Sunday, February 24, 2013

A POPE DOES NOT HAVE TO BE A PRIEST?



With all this papal intrigue going on, I can’t believe the interest in everything papal and all the articles being written about the subject and of course, the intrigue and speculation; a pope has not resigned in 600 years.

One thing I learned from reading all the articles is that A POPE DOES NOT HAVE TO BE A PRIEST BUT CAN BE ANY UNMARRIED CATHOLIC MAN…I think I did hear of that in my studies.

Looking up who was the last non-priest pope, I came upon LEO X who was merely a deacon when he was elected pope in 1513.

Giovanni di Lorenzo de’ Medici was only 37 when he was elected. Those were the days of the Medici and Borgia power families that elected their members to the papacy (did you see THE BORGIAS series on HBO?).

Leo X did become a priest, bishop and cardinal but AFTER being elected pope.

Leo X is best remembered for selling indulgences to help pay for St. Peter’s Basilica which brought about the scorn of Martin Luther who then started the REFORMATION and brought about PROTESTANTISM (get it…protestants against the Catholic Church).

LEO X was also known as a homosexual which is interesting given all the intrigue about homosexuality in the Vatican and the reason (some say) that Benedict is resigning.

The cardinals have not gone outside their conclave to pick a pope and I am pretty sure, they will not start now but I thought it was interesting to see the options available.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...