Thursday, December 27, 2007

I don't hate Catholics!





I don’t hate Catholics. My mother is a super Catholic and so are my sister and her family. I have Catholic friends who are good people I like very much. I sometimes feel sorry for people that are basically Catholic sheep but I know of many Catholics that have their own idea about what Catholicism should be regardless of what priests, bishops and popes say.

No, my scorn and derision is aimed squarely at the Catholic Church and specifically the boys that run that Church; shall we say the Vatican?

As far as the reason I pick on the Church or Church leadership so much – well it is mainly because of their unmitigated arrogance!

I have long maintained that humans are predisposed to religion as if it was in our genes. We need knowledge voids filled even if by made up stories; it’s our human nature. And religions of all kinds have been filling the void with stories almost from the beginning.

Religions produce traditions and traditions lead to a way of life for millions of people - if these religions make people happy and content then good for them. But if these religions or religious leaders start accumulating power and demanding control not only over their own adherents but over others, they need to be slapped down and reminded that they have no special position in our human society or in the spiritual universe; they are just keepers of the stories people choose to believe in and nothing more.

The Vatican wants us to believe that it knows what is good or bad for us as if they had a direct line to God – a touch of arrogance you think?

They allowed priests to sexually molest young boys yet demand we listen to those same priests instruct us in the proper handling of sexual issues, marriage issues, behavior issues, etc. – is that the height of arrogance?

The history of the Vatican and the Papacy is replete with stories of degeneracy, immorality, corruption, wickedness, plain evil, decadence, and dissoluteness, wantonness, vice, depravity, debauchery, indulgence, dissipation and whatever other similar words can be found in the dictionary.

One professor teaching about the Papacy said that as despicable as the Papal record is many bishops point to the fact that the papacy still exists means that God must be protecting it for some reason – did you understand that? – as bad as the Vatican has been and may be to this day, the fact that it has not crashed and burned must mean that its fate must be in the hands of God – what a rationale!

Excuse me if I sound a little bitter about the faith of my childhood and the faith of my ancestors but superstition and darkness must stop somewhere and not be passed on anymore.

I am all for tradition and I practice certain Polish / Catholic traditions but I can no longer stomach the blatant arrogance of the Catholic Church and feel strongly that Catholics worldwide need to take the reins of their religion away from the arrogant nitwits in the Vatican.





No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...