Friday, December 14, 2007

I missed the point in Romney's speech!





I have written about Mitt Romney’s “religion” speech on a number of occasions already but just recently I have been made aware, by commentators, that I may have missed the whole point of his speech – duh?

I thought that Romney basically ignored his Mormonism and focused on the freedom of religion in this country and the fact that religion should not determine if a candidate is fit to run for the presidency.

On closer reading of his speech, he is trying to unite all Christians (includes Mormons) to stem the attack of the secularists or as he put it, the unbelievers. He mentioned godless Europe as an example. Hmmmmm, that is a good political move on his part; uniting the Christians instead of defending Mormonism against Christians who call it a satanic cult and not Christian at all.

Smart fellow that Romney! But what do I think of this us against them; Christian against secularist that he is touting? On the one hand he says religion should not be a test for leadership (unconstitutional) but on the other its either vote for me (us) or a secularist may get in (read Democrat) and the U.S. may turn into a godless Europe.

It is interesting to point out that some countries in Europe have state religions (U.K. etc.) a clear repudiation of our separation of Church and State doctrine and yet in those same countries the people could give a shit about religion.

Hmmmmm, so the Christians in the U.S. want Christianity to become the official American religion so we can then all ignore it?

Anyway, I am having some trepidation about this whole religion in U.S. politics thing and I think the secularists here are going to have to start making some noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...