Friday, July 16, 2010

MUSLIM DRESS: Burkas Banned in France!







FRANCE BANS THE WEARING OF THE MUSLIM BURQA / BURKA / NIQABS IN PUBLIC.

When I “searched” my blog to see how many times I have blogged about “Muslim Women” and issues about their dress, I was astounded; I guess the subject just keeps popping up all the time.

Before, we just talked about the issue but now we have a law banning the wearing of a specific type of clothing, punishable by a fine; forcing someone to wear a burka mandates jail time and a very stiff fine ($38,000). This law was unanimously supported by the French government, parliament and a majority of the population; I am sure more countries will follow suite.

Just to be clear, the piece of clothing in question is the full burka (only a slit for the eyes) and not the myriad styles of veils (see picture above).

Reviewing my past opinions, I would have to say I was conflicted but tended to side with the popular negative view of why women wore the burka. I guess my conflict was with the legal and constitutional ramifications.

In my early days, nuns that taught me in school had a “habit” on and I guess you could call it a type of burka but with hands and face showing (how else could they teach?). I don’t remember anybody thinking there was anything wrong with what they wore and in fact, that is what nuns wore – period.

I strongly agree that laws must be passed mandating an open (uncovered) face on ID cards, in court, and all instances where a view of the full face is needed but while on the street or shopping…

A friend speculated that crooks could start donning burkas as they robbed banks, stores, people on the street and then what would you do; start arresting every one with a burka on?

As you can see, I am still conflicted…

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...