Monday, January 31, 2011

EGYPT: A Historic Moment...

By now, I think everybody in the world is watching Egypt because events there will result in a historic change that may influence our history for many years.

I don’t think there will be an abrupt takeover by the Muslim Brotherhood; there will be a gradual transition but after that, who knows.

I was listening to some Egyptians in the U.S. who were protesting in Los Angeles. When asked why they were protesting they replied that they hated Mubarak and wanted him gone. When asked why they hated Mubarak, one of the ladies said that he supports Israel and Israel is our enemy.

That statement, from a person in the U.S., shows why the U.S. government is scared of a change in regimes. Mubarak was against radical Islam and actually worked for a Mid-East peace accord; the next regime may not be so moderate.

I was very saddened to see the Cairo Museum damaged. I am a huge fan of history and have studied Egyptian history for many years. To me damaging or looting artifacts that are 3,000 to 4,000 years old is a SIN. I was happy to see the army as well as ordinary citizens defend the museum.

Visiting Egypt is on my “Bucket List” (what to see before you kick the bucket) and we were planning a trip there when I noticed that elections were to be held this year and said that we better wait. Boy am I glad I did that but I am so sad for the people that went anyway; some 50,000 Americans are stranded there.

I hope the events in Egypt will domino in the Middle East and I hope the dominos reach IRAN for another try at toppling the clerics from power.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...