Wednesday, September 21, 2011

DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL: Has ended...new military?

Rainbow flag flapping in the wind with blue sk...Image via Wikipedia
The DON’T ASK, DON’T TELL policy about gays in the military has actually come to an end.

Gays in the military can now be openly gay and cannot be drummed out of the military for being gay and gays discharged in the past few years for being gay, can re-apply for reinstatement to the military.

What dooooo it all mean?

I have not made it a secret that I firmly believe that gays are born that way and do not become gay for some reason. For a naturally born heterosexual male (can’t talk for females) to “choose” to become gay is not only absurd but is an insult to everyone’s intelligence.

While I was in the military (1966-1970) homosexuality was not a big thing then but even at my young age (19) and relative naïveté about certain issues, I was aware of some guys being more effeminate than others but now know that they were not gay but just not as manly as other “men” were and for this reason were picked on. In my barracks alone, we had two (2) such individuals hang themselves in the bathroom.

Life is not always fair and our social backwardness has not helped but I am happy to see some progress in my lifetime.

Reading some surveys, it appears that most people in the military did not care much about the issue in the first place; there is always the hard core group. I think older soldiers may still be anti-gay but I think the younger members of the military, as young society in general, have no problem with fellow soldiers being gay.

I have always had a problem with very public displays of affection; but to me that goes for both heterosexual and homosexual individuals and I think there are and have been regulations in place addressing that issue.

I know the military has changed dramatically since I was a member and I hope the transition will be smooth. The military brass has said that all soldiers have been trained in what to expect and they see no problems whatsoever in the military continuing to do its job as always…I do hope so.







Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...