Friday, September 23, 2011

FLU SHOTS FOR HEALTHCARE WORKERS OR ELSE...

H1N1 VaccineImage by ghinson via Flickr
Here is an issue that just personally pisses me off so I have to speak.

I have been in the healthcare business for most of my life either working in a hospital, an ER, a clinical laboratory, as a field medic and now for over 30 years, in the medical industry as a manufacturer of medical devices.

When I read a headline that says “Workers’ choice: Flu shots or ax…Hospitals act to protect patients, but some employees balk” just makes my blood boil.

My mother, who is near 90, refuses to get a flu shot (even though at her age it could be a life saver) because 20 years ago she got a serious bout of the flu right after getting a flu shot. She obviously thought that the flu shot caused her to get the flu even though I said that was impossible since the virus in the vaccine is inactivated (dead) BUT since it takes a couple of weeks for the vaccine to take effect, you can get the flu in that period of time. Cannot convince her and so the flu may be the death of her BUT that is her superstitious bullshit and she will stick to it.

BUT health workers, educated and degreed, to believe that a flu vaccine is dangerous to them somehow? – That is just plain stupid and dangerous.

In the past, since vaccines were produced in eggs, if you had a severe allergy to eggs, you could not get the vaccine but people with egg allergies are rare. Today, vaccines are produced in mammalian cells which enable the vaccine to be produced much faster and stored frozen for a long time.

There are over 24,000 deaths in the U.S. from complications of the flu. Over 150,000 people are hospitalized because of it and now with even more virulent strains of the flu virus coming our way, it is absolutely critical for people to get flu shots. Healthcare workers especially should get vaccinated since they can spread the virus to already weakened and compromised hospital patients.

In the past, some health centers demanded a flu shot or the wearing of a mask well that made no medical sense whatsoever. I saw nurses with masks half off scratching their noses while touching patients.

I cannot believe the amount of organizations that have been established to fight the flu shot mandate saying it should be a choice and not a mandate where you lose your job if you don’t comply. Hell, if I was a patient I would demand that the hospital I am going to have a strict flu shot mandate…it is the patient’s health in question and not your superstitious ignorance.

I can’t believe that some health professionals are claiming a flu shot violates their religious beliefs. I remember only one religion (Christian Scientists I think) where they would not accept medical intervention especially getting blood transfusions. I remember loosing some patients to that belief but what the hell; its their lives. I just didn’t like when they forced their children to die for their beliefs but I think a new law was passed banning that practice.

Some of these groups are going to their legislators to demand laws that would prohibit health workers from having to get flu shots as part of their employment.

That is totally absurd and any politician that succumbs to their bullshit will definitely lose my vote and maybe if patients start demanding that the nurses caring for them have been vaccinated, maybe hospitals will get some balls and start firing these yahoos.







Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...