Sunday, February 14, 2010

OBAMA: Not what I expected?







Just got back from Turks & Caicos where I had a good change of scenery and a little rest from the weather at home and the storm at work; the storm at work is obviously huge since I have not been able to write to my blog like I had for a number of years now – hopefully things will return to normal soon…

There are a lot of issues to discuss but let me start by saying how disappointed I am in Obama. I guess I was duped by his rhetoric; reminds me of John Kennedy who also duped the public with his “charm” and his “family” but no substance.

I have mentioned before that I felt he took on way too many projects all at once and did not concentrate on what needed to be done FIRST.

Now he is actually back-tracking on issues he was firm on and that makes him look wishy-washy. He was jolted by the Massachusetts voter revolt and now is questioning his own resolve on some issues but maybe he should have taken a harder look at some issues before leaping into the fray the way he did.

He has backed down on healthcare, he has backed down on trying terrorists in NYC’s civilian courts and he has backed down on dismantling Bush’s “faith-based” charities getting federal aid and he probably should have waited bringing up the “Don’t ask, don’t tell” policy on gays in the military.

Let me just touch on the “faith-based” charities issue first, the rest later. Bush’s faith based charities policy gave federal funds to religious organizations that discriminated on the basis of religion i.e. they hired only members of their own religion which is against federal law which demands zero discrimination on any basis from firms receiving federal funds. Obama promised to dismantle the obviously illegal and unconstitutional relationship between the federal government and religious organizations BUT now he thinks the relationship is OK because he needs support from the religious right – bullshit!

Obama was always pro-union as are most Democrats but I did not think he would abandon all rationality just to give them a chance to get stronger by getting rid of all legal obstacles to unionization; I had to actually depend on the Republicans to keep union rule in check and so far they have done a good job forcing Obama to take another look at his blatant unionism and the damage that stance can do to the nation’s economy. Actually, one of the factors that prolonged the Great Depression was FDR’s pro-union legislation that kept unemployment very high for too long.

I have not given up completely on Obama but things need to change and he needs to change; maybe he should change some people around him who obviously are not giving him good advice.

Hope to have time to talk about specifics this month…


No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...