Monday, October 03, 2011

WALL STREET PROTEST: What are you protesting?

Thousands protest banks on Wall StreetImage by SEIU International via Flickr
My wife’s cousin, who lives in Connecticut, called her this weekend to tell her he is attending the WALL STREET PROTEST. She seemed geeked about it so I had to inquire what the protest was all about.

Well there are no straight answers to this protest other than it’s about the sucky economy that Wall Street supposedly caused…I think.

Anyway, now it seems the protest has taken on a NATIONAL scope with individual states now planning their own protests. Some are comparing this to the ARAB SPRING where people on social networks planned protests…I am still waiting for a point to these protests.

I am learning that the protests are “occupation” protests where people actually occupy a space and refuse to leave…like the union twits in Wisconsin I suppose.

The other thing I am hearing is that the protests have “tapped into a COMMON ANGER” and that common anger seems directed towards the one (1) % of the richest Americans that don’t pay their fair share of taxes?

I agree that people are pissed at the way things are going in this country and it’s usually college age kids that make the effort to protest; I remember the anti-Vietnam protests when I was in the service.

I can see being pissed at Congress and their inability to act like responsible adults. I can also see the frustration with Wall Street and their underhanded games with our economy which Congress cannot seem to prevent because Congress is incapable of action.

Eventually someone or some organization will be able to channel this common anger into political action and only in that way will all these protests actually be of any benefit to our society.

BUT to begin with, the protesters have to have a unified message or goal and right now they speak with thousands of individual voices, each with its own message…lets see what happens.





No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...