Friday, November 11, 2011

MICHIGAN ANTI-BULLING LAW: OK to bully gay students?

Bullying on IRFE in March 5, 2007, the first c...Image via Wikipedia
I have to comment on the recent anti-bullying bills passed by the Michigan Senate and now by the Michigan House.

Michigan is only one of three (3) states that do not have an anti-bullying law so it is high time we had one. I guess with the advent of the internet, bullying has taken on a new face in the form of cyber bullying which has resulted in a number of teenage suicides directly linked to the bullying.

In my days, bullying occurred face to face and usually by someone that was bigger and stronger than the person being bullied. I was lucky to be relatively tall as a child and did not suffer bullying often but I do remember a few incidences in grade school where I had to fight.

In my days, parents would tell their children to fight back or as in my case, when someone bullied by sister, I kicked their ass.

Well things are much different now and if bullying leads to suicides than something definitely needs to be done to allow teachers, etc. to stop bullying before it goes too far.

BUT here is the absurd and ironic part of the Michigan Senate anti-bulling law; it allows bullying if based on religion.

Let me explain…the Michigan law is titled Matt’s Safe School Law and is named after a gay student that committed suicide after being bullied for being gay which seems to be the most common type of bullying.

The senate Republicans inserted a clause into the law that would not prohibit “a statement of a sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction of a school employee, school volunteer, pupil or a pupil’s parent or guardian.” In other words, gay bashing is a protected right of people that belong to a religion where gays are sinners and the religion mandates persecution of such sinners; protecting gays violates their religious liberty…get it?

I will quickly add that the Michigan House passed a similar bill but without the offending clause.

My problem is the mentality of the people that inserted the clause into the bill knowing full well that protecting students that are gay from intimidation was a priority of the legislation; the clause basically negated the protection.

And here I will have to again raise the question of adult religious idiocy on the part (in this case) of Michigan Republicans permitting religion to be used as a weapon; Michigan Taliban?

You wonder why I get so upset when I encounter this religious backwardness that insists on hurting members of our society and this is happening in my own state and not in some flea bitten area of Afghanistan.

We need to remain vigilant against this religious terrorism because it is more prevalent than we ever imagined…

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...