Wednesday, November 09, 2011

NEW DETROIT CITY CHARTER: It passed...

City seal of Detroit, Michigan.Image via Wikipedia
I have been talking about a CHARTER PROPOSAL in Detroit that would mandate electing city council members from districts or wards and not “at large” which meant many districts in Detroit had NO representation on the council; Detroit is one of only two cities that elects at large.

I claimed that the new charter would put the city on a road to recovery from the corruption and incompetence of the past and the history of Detroit can attest to the sordid past.

I became concerned when public figures, those that stood to lose power or money if the new charter is approved, started coming out against the Charter proposal, stirring up the electorate by playing the usual race cards…if charter passes, white suburbs will gain control of Detroit assets?

I should have had more faith in the electorate. With only a 10% turnout, the charter passed 58% to 42%...Hallelujah!!!

My only rationale for the victory is that the people in the know and the people that really care about the city came out to vote and the opposition could not buy enough votes to vote the charter down.

I will admit that the only part of the charter that I cared about and studied was the election of city council members by districts which I am convinced will “improve” the way the council functions. One problem is that the current city council will be tasked with drawing up the actual districts and this could get to be a political battle and therefore mess.

I did not study the other provisions of the charter but have heard from people opposed to the charter that feel the provisions will hamper city progress with one placing obstacles to privatizing city departments. Since I am all for privatizing, this may indeed be a hindrance to progress.

Anyway, I am surprised and pleased the charter was voted in and now look forward to see how it will change the city.






Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...