Wednesday, November 09, 2011

MIDDLE CLASS EDUCATION: Forget about elite schools...

The University of Cambridge is an institute of...Image via Wikipedia
I have been debating (arguing) about the so called “inequality” issue that seems to be on the minds of protesters and liberal leaning individuals these days.

BUT I also have to take issue with liberal media that have a tendency to stoke the flames of social unrest by articles designed to unfairly provoke the concern about inequality.

I take issue with my home paper THE DETROIT FREE PRESS. In a front page article headlined COLLEGE FALLING OUT OF REACH as if to indicate that a college education is out of reach for many because of the economic turmoil the country. Families have to take care of basic needs first and therefore college has become a luxury many can no longer afford even though a college education is now basically mandatory for decent employment.

OK that sounds like a genuine concern about the consequences of a depressed economy. My parents were poor but I attended college anyway, I obtained a merit scholarship from the state of Michigan, was drafted and completed my education on the GI Bill. I have always believed that where there is a will there is a way BUT that is not what the Free Press was getting at.

The sub-head read: FEWER FROM MIDDLE CLASS AT ELITE SCHOOLS and that just irks me. It is the same shit I heard from this paper about minorities not being able to attend the “elite” schools, never mind that minorities, women and middle class students are attending “higher learning institutions” at record levels, NO it is all about why aren’t they attending the “elite” schools as if society owes them that right?

Students that have drive and desire and a modicum of smarts can fashion a good career no matter which college they attend. But this newspaper thinks it is somehow important not that poorer students attend college at all BUT that they need to attend the “elite” schools in this country and that is a bunch of hooey!

My wife wondered why I was so upset with the paper and the education writer David Jesse of the Free Press who was tasked with writing about a statistic and making an issue where no issue existed.

Yes, higher education costs more and I don’t really know why but there are community schools and two-year schools that offer affordable education. You can work while you go to school which is what I did and not live in a dorm.

I guess what set me off is the damn newspaper which instead of offering young people suggestions of how to get a higher education on a budget, decries the fact that young people from the middle class find it harder and harder to attend ELITE schools…so?


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...