Thursday, June 16, 2011

DETROIT: Is Mayor Bing the one to save the city?

Last time I blogged about Detroit’s Mayor Dave Bing, I expressed a diminishing faith in his abilities in leading Detroit out of its age old culture of corruption and incompetence. I firmly believe in the honesty of his intent to help the city and its residents but I questioned his ability as a mayor / CEO.

What made me question his abilities but not his resolve was the fact the local newspapers kept coming up with examples of ongoing gross corruption and incompetence and he was always surprised and shocked which to me means he is unaware and not in control of his departments and what they do…not good.

I have stated that a good CEO always surrounds himself with good, responsible administrators that make his job easier but the fact that he has a huge turnover rate in his appointed officials raises a red flag and at the conference in Mackinaw Island, he complained that no one is helping him?

This morning’s newspaper editions carried huge, front page stories detailing a lawsuit filed by a former executive employee of his (Rochelle Collins) stating that he (Bing) is not in charge but a stooge of his communications director Karen Dumas.

Karen Dumas runs the city, runs the mayor and is causing the turnover among his staff by being a total bitch; Dumas is not even the chief of staff (Shannon Holmes is), she is just the communications director.

There are many allegations and if proven true than Mayor Bing’s credibility is shot and in my mind, he will not be able to run the city affectively; he has to command complete confidence in his abilities if he wants people to listen to his leadership.

I cannot pre-judge because the evidence is not in BUT the rumor mill will be working overtime and every step he takes, from here on in, will be closely scrutinized.

I hate for this to be happening because I really thought of Bing as a savior of the city and he may still be BUT he did not need all this bullshit to happen but like I said, the pervasive culture in Detroit just may be impossible to clean out without a state takeover through an emergency manager from OUTSIDE the city.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...