Tuesday, March 15, 2011

CATARACT SURGERY: Nearly a breeze...

Just back from cataract surgery post-op; unfortunately my genetic makeup included cataracts (my mother’s genes) and this was my second one.

This was done in the new West Bloomfield Henry Ford Hospital which we just love over the Henry Ford Hospital in Downtown Detroit which is usually packed to the rafters and is an old, old structure.

I guess medicine does progress somewhat and this cataract surgery was way different from my first cataract surgery a few years back. The last surgery I don’t remember at all, I guess they just put me under and did what they needed to do.

For this one, I was kept fully awake with only a mild something-something to keep me happy and calm. They explained, cause I asked, that they don’t totally sedate you because it takes too long to recover and they want you in and out as fast as possible…good business sense.

To help speed things along you also keep your pants and shoes on (they give you shoe booties to put over your shoes) and a top so when you get out you just put your shirt on and you are ready to go.

The surgery itself was kind of weird since you are wide awake (eye is numb though). You can see some lights going on in your eye which makes you feel like you are watching some psychedelic movie on LSD.

Another new thing is a clear, protective shield on the eye and not the tons of bandages on the eye. With the clear shield you can kinda see right away.

Anyway, all is well that ends well and if not for the fact that I have to put three separate medications in the eye three times a day for two weeks, it would have been a total breeze.


Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. It takes about 2-3 days to recover completely in case of severe cataract removal.When the cover gets very thick and needs to be cut hard.Else the removal could take lesser time to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thought of having to get cataract surgery can be a tough pill to swallow. However, millions of people develop this problem each year. When people get cataracts this means there's an obstruction or cloud on the lens in your eye. This cloud scatters light when it enters the eye, making it difficult for the person to see. List of clinic in Thailand for Cataract Surgery

    ReplyDelete

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...