Saturday, March 19, 2011

MICHIGAN'S ATTORNEY GENERAL: Its all about politics and not the law...


There was an article in the paper recently that caught my eye but just briefly and I moved on until reading a column by Brian Dickerson in the Friday Free Press (3/18).

The original news item was about Michigan’s Attorney General Bill Schuette. I usually don’t like attorney generals because they are above all, politicians first and attorney generals second or at all.

It appears that a graduate student in counseling at Eastern University (close by) was suing the school because when she refused to counsel gay students, the school told her to find another course or another school. The student claimed her religious beliefs precluded her from ministering to gays.

I find this subject interesting because I actually know a councilor who received her degree from a religious school who also does not council gays among others she finds distasteful. I find this not only very hypocritical with regards to the Christian faith but I also find it quite unprofessional if you do call yourself a professional.

I find the same problem with pharmacists who will not honor doctor’s prescriptions for the morning after pill or any other medication that they think conflicts with their Christian faith. To me you are a pharmacist first and foremost and obligated to do your duty to dispense medications when asked to by a physician; if you don’t want to, get the hell out of that job.

To me the case was simple; a school has a curriculum and a set of requirements for graduation. If you can’t complete the requirements, you do not get a degree. The student’s case rests on her religious liberty which to me has nothing to do with the school’s requirements that are applied to everyone.

Bill Schuette’s name come up in Brian Dickerson’s article because he (as Michigan’s attorney general) files a friend of the court brief with the U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals.

Normally this is never done by a sitting attorney general but as Dickerson puts it, it is all done in the name of politics as I have maintained throughout. Schuette doesn’t give a shit about the student’s religious liberty, he just wants to be viewed as a man who religious Republican hardliners can count on.

Our last attorney general ran for governor and this one will also, just watch and see.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...