Sunday, November 11, 2012

POPE: Bring back Latin...





In today’s paper, the Vatican announced that the pope is bringing the study and usage of the Latin language back.

I took Latin for four (4) years while attending Holy Redeemer High School. Why in the hell would I do that?

Well, my mother who was in charge then, wanted for me to become a doctor (MD) and in her mind doctors wrote out their prescriptions in Latin therefore they must know and need the Latin language so I guess, I would be once step ahead to becoming a doctor by knowing Latin.

I don’t totally disparage her rationale for making me take a “dead” language since people that took French or German, speak those languages as well as I speak Latin today.

I remember the class was as boring as it could get. We had to read and translate Virgil’s Aeneid but most of us just bought the translation and the nun never caught on…or did she?

Anyway, the pope, as mentioned in countless blogs of yore’ is desperately trying to roll back the clock and reject the reforms of Vatican II. He feels things were better in those days and he would like to go back to those better days.

I have always maintained that babbling in a language no one understands while pushing holy smoke around and spraying holy water on everything sure made things feel a lot more “mysterious” and “holy” and “sacred”.

And I feel the pope’s rationale is the less they understand the better and he is historically correct. The language was only used and understood by high clerics (lowly priests did not know Latin but could recite in the language) who then imparted the meaning of those Latin words to the great unwashed masses.

You see the benefit, if only you understand the language you can tell the Catholic twits anything and they have to believe you…changing the mass into English, etc. just created too many problems as the idiots in the pews started asking too many questions.

The pope’s plan makes sense me thinks it maybe too late to go all the way back. Its like China, once you gave them a taste of freedom and success, you cannot go back to the Communistic ways of yore’.



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS: Stay or Go...

Another subject that I feel needs some clarification because it is so divisive among us is the issue of Confederate Monuments, why they ...